How many bags of concrete are in a yard will depend on the size/weight of the bag you’re using.
It doesn’t matter if you’re using Quikrete, Sakrete, or another brand. The amount you need will be determined by what size bag you purchase.
How much concrete do you need?
It’ll take quite a few bags of concrete to make a cubic yard. The number of bags you need will vary depending on the type of concrete mix you choose for your project.
- If you’re using 40lb bags of concrete, you’ll need 90 bags to make a yard
- If you’re using 50lb bags of concrete, you’ll need 72 bags to make a yard.
- If you’re using 60lb bags of concrete, you’ll need 60 bags to make a yard.
- If you’re using 80lb bags of concrete, you’ll need 45 bags to make a yard.
how many 80lb bags of concrete are in a yard?
You will need 45 bags of concrete mix to make a cubic yard of concrete.
An 80 lb bag (36.3 kg) of concrete mix yields approximately 0.60 cubic feet (17L)
There’s 27 cubic feet of concrete in a cubic yard. If you divide 27 by .60 it equals 45 bags.
How many square feet of concrete will an 80 lb bag do?
That depends on your thickness.
- @ 2″ thick an 80 lb bag of concrete will fill 3.6 square feet
- @ 4″ thick an 80 lb bag of concrete will fill 1.8 square feet
- @ 6″ thick an 80 lb bag of concrete will fill 1.2 square feet
how many 60 pound bags of concrete make a yard?
You will need 60 bags of concrete mix to make a cubic yard of concrete.
A 60 lb bag (27.2 kg) of concrete yields approximately .45 cubic feet (12.7L)
There’s 27 cubic feet of concrete in a yard. If you divide 27 by .45 it equals 60 bags of concrete.
How many square feet will a 60 lb bag of concrete do?
- @ 2″ thick a 60 lb bag of concrete will fill 2.7 sq. ft.
- @ 4″ thick a 60 lb bag of concrete will fill 1.35 sq. ft.
- @ 6″ thick a 60 lb bag of concrete will fill 0.90 sq. ft
how much water will i need per bag?
The amount of mixing water you’ll need per bag of concrete will depend on the brand of concrete you’re using and the size of the bag.
Always check the manufacture’s recommendations for mixing water on the back of the bag.
Below is a chart of approximately how much water you’ll need per bag.
Size of bag lb. (kg)
Min. amount of water pt (L)
Max. amount of water pt (L)
If you want to check how many bags of concrete you will need, use my concrete calculator.
You’ll type in your thickness, length, and width, then the calculator will tell you how many 40, 60, or 80 lb bags you’ll need to do your project.
how many square feet are in a yard of concrete?
The amount of square feet you will fill with a yard of concrete will depend on the thickness.
- @ 4″ thick a cubic yard of concrete will fill an area of 81 sq. ft.
- @ 5″ thick a cubic yard of concrete will fill an area of 65 sq. ft.
- @ 6″ thick a cubic yard of concrete will fill an area of 52 sq. ft.
FOR EXAMPLE: How many bags of concrete do I need for a 10′ x 10′ slab?
10 x 10 = 100 sq. ft.
- For a 4″ thick slab, 100 sq. ft. / 81 = 1.23 yards of concrete or 56 (80 lb) bags of concrete
- For a 5″ thick slab, 100 sq. ft. / 65 = 1.54 yards of concrete or 70 (80 lb) bags of concrete
- For a 6″ thick slab, 100 sq. ft. / 52 = 1.92 yards of concrete or 87 (80 lb) bags of concrete
For the calculations above, I rounded up to get an even number of bags.
tools you need to mix and work with concrete
Here’s a list of tools that will help you mix your bags of concrete and also pour and finish the concrete.
You can get these tools right from Amazon or at your local hardware store. Please note these links are affiliate links. If you click through to Amazon and purchase a tool, this site may make a small commission.
how to mix bags of concrete by hand
In the video below I’m using bags of concrete to repair a section of pool deck.
I’m using bags of Quikrete concrete mix and showing you how to mix these bags by hand.
Go To Home Page